Jaunenoir's Storm Trooper 

August 19, 2011 - January 18, 2013


Trooper became our forever "boss" on August 19, 2011!



10 months with her "Auntie"



6.5 weeks of age 6.5 weeks of age
5 weeks of age Trooper with Madison - 3 weeks of age
Trooper with Heather - 2.5 weeks of age Trooper with her brother - 11 days of age
Trooper with her Mom & brother 

2 days of age


 Jaunenoir's Storm Trooper

Trooper came into our lives via c-section on August 19, 2011.  What we thought was going to be a "normal" section, was anything but...

Xray showed 2 babies, and with that comes the risk of there not being enough natural Oxytocin hormone from each puppy to cause strong enough contractions to enable a normal delivery.  We moved forward with the surgery in hopes of having two live puppies.  Once our veterinarian went "in", it was soon determined that one of the two puppies was lodged between strictures, basically on each end of puppy's body which impeded proper growth... puppy was small.  With great effort and manipulation, the lodged puppy was delivered... a little girl... then came her big brother.  Puppies were given oxygen, rubbed allot to stimulate breathing, eventually fed off momma, and released to go home.

Shortly after settling mom and babies into their whelping box "nest", I noticed the little girl's back foot was changing colour from pink to blue/purple.  An immediate call to our vet who had great concern, started her on an antibiotic, and suggested massaging the leg and foot frequently.

My sister who thank God was off work on holidays, and "stepped up to the plate".  She took total care of puppy, who became Trooper.  Every hour - on the hour - 24/7, Lisa got up night and day with Trooper... giving full body massages, mostly concentrating on the foot and leg.  The purple/bluish colour was traveling up Trooper's leg. After 1 week, the colouring stopped moving.  Lisa continued her therapy with Trooper for another two weeks, and saved her tiny leg - unfortunately the foot was lost.  With great care and due diligence, Trooper's foot healed over in time.

Trooper's foot through the healing process.

Did that stop Trooper from being as active as her brother?, no!  At 8 weeks of age she was still much smaller than her brother, but she was mighty! :)

In January we had a prosthetic made for Trooper`s foot by www.pawsability.ca  This sure gave Troopie a new lease on life and she was able to jump up on my knee... not typically acceptable, but what elation we had to see her being a full fledged "puppy"!! :)

All was going well until February 2012.  At 6 months of age, following her dinner, Trooper became disoriented, walking in circles, staggering, and appeared to be blind.  An immediate call to a local emergency vet (our vet is 1.25 hours away), and several tests later, Trooper became coherent again and back to normal... with no real medical intervention. Hmmm... the vet was stumped.  Trooper came home.  Within days, all signs and symptoms returned.  An emergency call again, different vet on call.  Several tests again, everything normal, Trooper recovered... no medical intervention.  Another week passed, then full circle again, but this time, Trooper went unconscious, no eye response, shallow breathing.  Off to the same vet, more tests, full recovery, no medical intervention.  This vet too was stumped, and a few thousand dollars later, no answers.

After much debate, we decided euthanasia was best for Trooper.  Not being able to make the call to the vet, Rod did and the appointment was scheduled for next morning... we would say good bye to Trooper.  Lisa and I struggled with our decision that evening, and both of us had a "not the right decision" feeling... our gut instincts said "NO, don't do it".

The next morning came, and we cancelled the "appointment".  Instead, we collaborated with the vet again, and with his encouragement to "go the extra mile", we agreed to do a specific blood test as he questioned there being a possible liver shunt.  The specific blood test revealed liver damage & increase in white blood cells... but why?  With his suggestion and referral, we were sent to Toronto to have a specialist do an ultra sound.  Ultra sound revealed a liver shunt... poor Troopie's body had been trying to fight the toxins being spewed into her system from the liver shunt, causing toxic shock (her system would gradually fill with toxins, cause the episodes, and remarkably her body would flush, and recover.)  So now what?  Consultation with the specialist offered us two options - surgery to repair the shunt and close it off, no guarantee, high risk of a bleed out right on the table, and upwards of $7000.00 - $10, 000.00.  Second option, put Trooper on Metronidazole (antibiotic 2x/day) and feedings divided into 5 times per day, 1/2 cup each.  Doing the latter option Trooper could live a normal life, and was suggested she would remain small (big deal!!).  Once again, Trooper was exception to the rule, and is now a fully grown, good sized girl who will not be a momma, but lives as boss of the manor. :)

So here we are today... taking each day as a Blessing with our girl... who is well named... Trooper! :)

Update - January 21, 2013

It is with very heavy hearts that we had to say good-bye to our dear friend Trooper on January 18, 2013.

Losing Trooper was totally out of our control, as God made the decision to take her with him where she is able to run in the open fields, eat whatever she wants, and frolic with all those before her.

You may have been taken Troopie, but you'll never be forgotten. 

Heather, Lisa, Rod, Dave & Lou

Jaunenoir's Storm Trooper